I Destroyed My House While Cleaning

In News by admin0 Comments

Cleaning destroyed my house

Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Ronnie Cox

It is billed as the ultimate cleaning product – capable of wiping out even the most stubborn stains.

But even trusty Cillit Bang could not get the glue off 75-year-old Ronald Cox’s kitchen floor tiles. So in desperation Mr Cox decided to use petrol instead – and promptly blew up his house.

The boiler pilot light in his living room ignited the fumes despite the pensioner having used just an eggcup full of the highly flammable liquid.

”Nobody should ever try to use petrol as a cleaner”

 

  

And with a bang louder than the cleaning product’s colour scheme an explosion ripped through his semi-detached house in Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire.

The blast blew out the front bay window, lifted up part of the kitchen ceiling and caused structural damage to an inside wall.

But Mr Cox, who is partly deaf and suffers from angina, had no idea what had happened until a neighbour came to see if he was all right.

Dave Micheson, who lives a few doors away, found Mr Cox standing shocked but unhurt in the kitchen.

He said: ‘I couldn’t believe it when he was just standing there.’ Mr Cox said his local hardware store recommended Cillit Bang and when it did not have the desired effect, he tried petrol. ‘I only had a cupful,’ he protested.

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service said: ‘There are many products available which can do such jobs perfectly – nobody should ever try to use petrol as a cleaner.

London Office Cleaning

 

Leave a Comment