Vertical blinds can be common place in offices, homes and commercial premises with windows. Blinds come in all shapes and sizes and are made from a variety of materials with the most popular ones being fabric, wood, plastic and aluminium. Just like any other object in the house, business etc they can get dirty so what’s the best way to clean them? Before you clean any type of blind always check for manufacturers recommended cleaning instructions. This will avoid the blinds becoming damaged. It would be good if you could take them down and put them in the washing machine and dishwasher but that’s not possible is it?
Read on for the 5 best tips on how to keep your blinds clean and fresh.
1. Before you take your plastic blinds down, fill a bath with hot water adding washing up liquid and vinegar. The washing up liquid cleans the blind and the vinegar removes ground in dirt. When you have enough water in the bath take down the blinds and place them in the bath allowing to soak for approximately an hour. Then give them a shake and if they are still dirty leave in the water for a further thirty minutes and then give them a shake again. Repeat this process till clean and then rehang them to dry naturally.
2. If you are able to remove the plastic blind slats five at a time you can place them in your dishwasher on the plate racks. Set the cleaning cycle to a short one and when finished remove, rehang and allow them to dry naturally.
3. With fabric blinds, you can clean them in the washing machine if you can detach the fabric from the tube roller fixings. Be careful to check before removing that the fabric can be reattached to the fixings.The fabric can be placed in the washing machine on a cool wash until clean. When finished rehang and allow to dry naturally taking care to place a towel underneath the blind to catch any dripping water.
4. If the fabric will not separate from the roller fixings you can spray a multi-surface cleaner on the affected areas of the blind and use one hand to support the blind and the other hand to gently rub until the dirty marks have disappeared. A useful tip to remove dirt collected in ridges and hard to get areas is a toothbrush. Spray the cleaner to the affected areas and then apply the toothbrush not using too much force.
5. Metal and wood blinds require waterless methods of cleaning. Swiffer dusters are recommended for cleaning the slats of wooden and metal blinds. These fluffy dusters are great for reaching hard to get to areas on the blinds and they don’t leave behind a layer of residue. There is also an extendable handle which gives you an extra three feet to get to those out of reach places. Alternatively you can use the brush attachment on your vacuum cleaner to remove dust and also a wide paint brush can be used on individual slats. Standard paint brushes can be purchased from discount stores providing a cost effective solution to cleaning your vertical blinds.
Total Clean Blackpool are experts in cleaning vertical blinds in offices and commercial premises. They provide a Contract Cleaning Service to Blackpool, Lytham, St. Anne’s, Preston, Lancaster, Morecambe and surrounding areas.
Call 01253 420 480 or fill out our online enquiry form and one of our team will be in touch very soon to discuss your office cleaning requirements and organise a site visit.